Financial Support

 I have an impairment and need help with my living expenses - who can help me?

 Work and Income (WINZ) may be able to help you with living costs if you are unable to work or can only work a few hours because you are sick, injured, disabled or pregnant. Freephone: 0800 559 009 (General enquiries for people under 65) Senior Service: 0800 552 002

 Providing Access to Health Services (PATHS) is an employment programme for people on Supported Living Payment who want to work but need support to achieve their goal. PATHS may help people access a wide range of health, employment and community services which would assist them to return to work.PATHS is available in the Canterbury DHB area.

Supported Living Payment is assistance for people who have, or are caring for someone with a health condition, injury or disability.

Discretionary Grants

Attitude Trust Scholarships - Kia Ora Hauora offers one Attitue Trust communication scholarships per year for people living with a disability to study in an area of communications, specifically media or digital studies. 

 Cerebral Palsy Society of New Zealand have Individual Grants and a number of voucher schemes to help members of the CP Society remain as independent as possible. Lists of their programmes are available from their web site.

Halberg Disbility Sports Foundation can provide physically disabled young people with grants to cover the costs that prevent them from participating in sport.

Make it Happen Charitable Trust - the trusts purpose is to make grants to children and their families' primarily resident in the North West area of Christchurch. The grants are to meet or go towards the costs of assisting in a sport, school activity, the arts, music, community or cultural activity, education and possible medical costs for children. The Trust will consider applications for larger amounts for special or particular circumstances at the Trustee discretion.

For lottery funding for mobility scooters, click here, to link to the funding options on the Aspire Canterbury Mobility Scooter page.

Mayor's Welfare Fund (Christchurch City Council) - the fund works with other helping agencies in the city and can provide assistance on a one-off basis where real need can be shown. The fund is a last resort measure when people have exhauseted other appropriate sources such as Work and Income New Zeland (WINZ)

Other Options

Paraloan is a charitable trust that provides financial assistance for people with physical disabilities. If you meet the eligibility criterial, they may be able to provide low interest loans for housing, a vehicle, self employment or another purposes.

Lottery Grants makes grants available to people with mobility and communication related disabilities.

Multiple Sclerosis Society of NZ administer The Dorothy L Newman Scholarship applications which help financially support people with MS to undergo a course of retraining when MS has impacted to the point that a change of career must take place to help people stay in paid employment.











Sign up to our Newsletter